Nail art pens make it possible to create unique, different kinds of nail arts. These pens are full of nail polish but allow you to accurately paint any pattern to create beautiful nail pen art. These pens are great for creating freehand nail art designs such as dots, stripes, swirls and any patterns directly on the nail with no need for a stencil.
I always look for pens that have a brush at one end and a nib at the other, this allows for flexibility as you can use the pen as a dotting tool for nail art and swirls and the brush for painting the nail for your base colour. Some brands say they are nail art pens but they only come with a thin brush. If you are not sure how to use these nail art brushes they are generally good for painting fine lines. I prefer to use pens with a nib for creating intricate patterns of swirls and dots. Depending on what kind of designs you have planned for your nails will determine if a nib or a brush is ideal for you.
Where to buy Nail Art Pens?
There are quite a lot of nail art suppliers who sell nail art pen sets. The most popular products are those from Migi which are sold as a two way pen/brush combo. Migi have really good quality products but they generally have a price tag to match. If you do buy Migi, ensure you register your products on their website as this entitles you to free Migi Nail Art Refills and Replacements for the life of the product, it is necessary to pay for shipping costs. The process is slightly different for Canadian and Australian buyers but all the information you need is on this Migi nails page.
Nail Supreme nail art pens are very similar to Migi pens in quality and colours but there aren’t as many different sets available. At the other end of the scale, the nail art pens Sally Hansen have a good selection but some may find these too runny for more intricate designs. Models Own Wah Pens and Shany have a great product range. There are tons of nail art suppliers and I have only mentioned the main stockists. You can find some cheap nail art pens if you look for nail art supplies online. I find Amazon have the best deals to buy nail art pens online. I’ve linked to a few products at the end of this post.
How to use Nail Art Pens?
For those not familiar with do it yourself nail art. Here is your nail art how to guide to get started creating nail art with nail polish. Anyone can get creative with these pens, easy nail art designs for kids are possible with these pens. Once you have mastered the basics, you can attempt all the latest nail art designs. But watch out, it’s a lot of fun and can get addictive!
- Make sure you put down some paper before you start your designs, it can get messy if this is your first time attempting nail pen art.
- You will need to apply a base coat before you start your designs. I like to do a clear base coat first before applying any coloured nail polish.
- Allow your base coat to dry completely before attempting any designs with your pens. If you are in a rush you might want to consider using a nail dryer to speed up the process.
- Shake your pen vigorously for a few seconds before using, you will be able to hear the cartridges moving about inside. Make sure you keep the cap on for this step.
- For first time nail pens users it is best to press the nib on a hard surface until the nail polish comes out. When you see it come out in a blob you will be thanking me that that mess didn’t ruin your nails!
- It is best to have a practise run on a piece of paper so you can get used to the thickness and the speed that the polish is dispensed from the nail pen. Once you feel confident you can start applying the nail pens to designing some beautiful nails creations!
- If you make a mistake with you art work you can always use a cotton tip and some nail polish remover to clean this off, it you do this quickly you shouldn’t take off any of the base coats of nail polish.
- Make sure you allow the pens’ nail polish time to dry before applying a top layer. This might take some practise as applying a top coat can cause the nail polish to bleed. I find that if I only apply one swipe of the top coat this gives the best results.
- Allow the first top coat time to dry before applying a further coat if needed.
Do you have any tips you would like to add to this? Please feel free to send in any creative nail designs you have made and they will be featured in our nail art gallery for all the nail art supplies readers to see.
Here’s a great instructional video showing some funky designs and how you can create professional nail art designs at home.
Here are some great deals on nail art pens that I found on Amazon.
Nail Art Pens
February 6, 2013